SKILLED LABOURER III
The Town of Neepawa is accepting application for a Skilled Labourer III position within the Department of Public Works to work under the direction of the Public Works Supervisor or Lead Hand.
Reports To: Public Works Supervisor
- Grade 12 or equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Must possess and maintain a minimum valid Class 5 Manitoba Drivers License; however, Class 1 or Class 3 with air is preferred;
- Must be mechanically inclined;
- Able to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision;
- Must be willing to take, or have successfully completed, courses such as Standard First Aid and CPR Training, Workplace Safety & Health, equipment operation training and any other position related training as required;
- Successful completion, or willing to complete by 2023: Class I & II certification in both Water Distribution & Waste Water Collection through the Manitoba Water and Waste Water Association;
- Physically capable of performing all of the required job duties such as lifting/carrying 0-25 kg, walking on rough terrain, sitting and standing for prolonged periods, climbing stairs and ladders, crouching, kneeling, bending, twisting, operating vehicles and wearing of personal protective equipment. A medical note from may be required to verify fitness and ability.
Demonstrated ability and/or aptitude to operate safely and maintain with minimal instruction:
- Large and small lawn mowers, grass whip
- Back hoe, loader, skid steer
- Water tapping machine
- Vibratory compactor
- Half ton truck up to and including four-ton truck, standard transmission trucks
- SCTV sewer camera
- Concrete and asphalt applicators
- Other associated equipment
General Duties and Responsibilities (includes but is not limited to):
- Perform labour duties and operation of small tools and equipment for various public works, parks and cemetery operations;
- Compliance with safety policies and standard operating procedures;
- Maintain confidentiality for all work which is undertaken;
- Flushing of sewer mains and watermains;
- Maintenance, construction and repair of water and waste water infrastructure systems including pipe laying to designed grades, backfilling and compaction of trench area;
- Building service connections such as tapping water and sewer service to main lines;
- Construction, repairs and maintenance of curbs, sidewalks, asphalt road and walkways;
- Traffic services such as sign posting;
- Check equipment regularly, report deficiencies; assist with vehicle and equipment maintenance;
- Perform manual labour duties under varied weather conditions;
- Maintain effective public relations with staff members and the public;
- Be responsible for clean-up after every activity;
- Perform other duties as assigned;
The duties listed are not set forth for the purpose of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties to be performed under the position title, or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee’s normal line of work.
Certain training requirements necessitate individuals to attend training outside of Neepawa for periods of up to one week. Further, employees have the ability to participate in professional development courses and trade shows that may require travel to various locations in Manitoba. Attendance at these training session and events is covered by the employer.
Position Conditions: This is a full-time permanent position of 40 hours per week. Although limited in scope, individuals must be able to work some flexible shift work when required, including overtime and on-call work. This position is offered in accordance with the conditions identified in the Collective Agreement between the Town of Neepawa and CUPE Local 1735-01.
Range of Pay: $21.79 – $22.97 per hour – 2020 rates.
Applications, including cover letter and resume, will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. January 29th, 2021 at:
Town of Neepawa, P.O. Box 339, 275 Hamilton Street, Neepawa, MB, R0J 1H0;
Fax: 204-476-7624 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on January 12, 2021
The Town of Neepawa is committed to an inclusive, barrier free environment and will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Accessibility for Manitobans Act (AMA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted. If contacted to participate in the process, please advise if you require an accommodation.